Best Rotary Cheese Grater Consumer Ratings & Reports 2021
Grating cheese can be a time-consuming chore when using a box grater, not to mention a painful one when you accidentally run your knuckles or fingers over the blades. Having the best rotary cheese grater consumer reports can reduce the danger of getting sliced while saving you some time in the kitchen.
Reviews Of 5 Best Rotary Cheese Graters Consumer Ratings & Reports
1. IKEA Stralande White Rotary Grater
The body of this rotary grater is made from ABS plastic and includes 2 different stainless steel drums, one for fine grating and the other for coarse grating. The design of the handle makes it suitable for both left and right handed cooks, so the whole family will be able to use this grater.
There is also a locking ring on the handle and the grating drums to ensure every piece stays in place while in use. There is a removable insert to make cleaning a much easier task, and the whole apparatus is dishwasher safe.
Though this grater works best with harder cheeses, you can grate cold, softer cheeses as well, as long as they don’t warm up to room temperature. It can even be used with other foods, like nuts, hard-boiled eggs, and chocolate.
The light weight and comfortable shape of this grater make it a decent option for those with arthritis or other physical disabilities.
- This grater is easy for everyone to use
- It can be taken apart easily, which is a necessity for those with disabilities
- It is dishwasher safe
- This grater is compact enough to fit into a utensil drawer or small cabinet
- A bit more expensive than some other graters at about $24.00
- Over time the plastic could weaken enough to break
- The pieces of cheese must be quite small to fit into the hopper
- The grater doesn’t work well with vegetables
This grater has been rated one of the best graters in the world, made with high quality stainless steel disc blades and an ABS handle and base. It secures to your counter or table using a rubber suction cup on the end of each of its 3 legs. You can use this grater for fine grating, coarse grating, and for slicing or cutting cheese, vegetables, nuts, chocolate, and a variety of other foods.
The ergonomic handle is easy for both left and right handed people to use comfortably and is high enough that you won’t graze your bottom hand while you turn it. When you’re finished using it, this rotary grater can be cleaned quickly and easily with a bit of soap and warm water. Storage will also not be an issue, since this grater can be folded away to save space in your cupboards or drawers.
- The different cutting blades give you more options in the kitchen
- This grater comes with a money back guarantee
- It is easy to assemble and disassemble
- It can be used with a variety of different ingredients
- It is not dishwasher safe
- Those on a budget may find this grater to be a bit expensive at almost $25.00
- Food must be cut quite small to use in this grater
- Sits a bit low, and though it can be used with a small plate, it is too short to use with a bowl
3. Lovkitchen Rotary Cheese Grater
This grater from Lovkitchen is made almost entirely of food grade stainless steel, which is durable enough for daily use. It has a unique handle that allows you to hang the grater for easy storage, but it is small enough to fit into a small drawer or cabinet out of sight as well.
It comes with 3 different rotary drums that can be used for fine grating, coarse grating, or slicing. This grater can be used with a variety of ingredients, including cheese, veggies, fruit, chocolate, and nuts. You can even use this grater as a zester when needed.
The hopper is large enough to hold a decent sized piece of food, with a rounded cover clamp that fits perfectly over it so nothing goes to waste. When you’re done with your meal preparations, this grater can be separated and washed by hand or in the dishwasher for added convenience.
- This grater has a budget-friendly price of about $18.00
- It is dishwasher safe
- The 3 drums and the ability to use it with a variety of foods make it a decent multi-purpose tool for those without the room to store a wide variety of cooking utensils
- It can be used by both left and right handed people
- It can be used for grating soap for powdered laundry detergent, liquid body wash, etc.
- There have been some issues with the small plastic gasket ring at the end of the grating attachments breaking
The strong, durable plastic and the sharp cutting blade of this grater has earned it an NSF Restaurant Certificate, making it as useful a tool for professionals as it is for those cooking at home for family and friends.
The fine drum makes short work of hard cheeses, as well as nuts, chocolate, spices, and much more. For those who prefer a coarser grate for your cheeses, this can be done without the need of additional blades, by applying more pressure on the handle while grating your cheese.
The handle can be switched from one side to the other for those who have both right and left handed cooks in their kitchens. And when you’re done with the cooking, it separates easily for quick and thorough cleaning. To make your job even easier, this product is also dishwasher safe.
- This grater is priced at about $17.00, making it a cheap option for those on a budget
- It is dishwasher safe, for easy cleaning
- It is lightweight and comfortable to hold
- It is strong enough to handle a lot of pressure when grating
- The grater can even be used for non-food items, such as soap
- It is not suitable for softer cheeses unless they have been frozen first
- There is no swivel bearing or rotating knob on the handle, which will cause some friction between it and your fingers when grating
- The is only a fine grating drum, with no other grating options included
5. Kuuk Drum Cheese Grater
This grater has a suction base that locks down for added security when turning the handle. The blades are made of sharp stainless steel. There are 2 interchangeable drums, one for fine grating for thinner cheese for pasta or pizza, and the coarser blade for larger cuts.
The drum blades are quiet easy to remove when you need to change or clean them. This grater works well for more than just cheese, allowing you to grate nuts, chocolate, and a variety of vegetables, including potatoes for hash browns and cabbage for coleslaw.
The hand crank is simple to turn and comfortable to use. This grater is durable and strong, despite being made of plastic. Best of all, unlike some other graters, there are no large pieces of food left over in the hopper, or trapped beneath the drum, because this grater takes care of it all.
- This grater is BPA free
- It can be used with a variety of food items
- It is a good option for those on a budget, due to the low price of about $15.00
- It is quite easy to use, since it holds tight to the counter or table and requires very little strength to turn
- It can be used with higher bowls or larger plates without food spilling everywhere
- Though the suction works well on smooth surfaces, it may not hold perfectly on a textured countertop
- Though it can be placed in the dishwasher, this could damage the suction cup, making it unusable
What is a Rotary Cheese Grater?
A rotary cheese grater can come in either a hand-held or a stand-up model. They consist of a hopper to insert the cheese or other ingredients, a stainless steel drum, and a handle to turn it.
The drums usually come in a few different sizes, which you can use to finely grate, coarsely grate, and sometimes even slice the cheese you’ve inserted in the hopper. There are even some that replace the circular drum with a spinning disc blade, but which will accomplish the same task. A rotary cheese grater works much quicker than using a box style cheese grater and completely eliminates the risk of injury since your fingers and hands are nowhere near the blades when in use.
What to Look for in a Rotary Cheese Grater
When you begin shopping for a new rotary cheese grater, there are only a few things you need to look for to ensure you are getting a quality machine that is worth your hard-earned money.
- A lightweight grater is necessary, especially if you’re buying a handheld model. This will keep you from straining your hands and wrists if grating a large amount of cheese, though is less of an issue if you are using a counter model.
- A smaller drum is better, since a larger one can be too wide for the dish you’re using to catch the cheese. This will make less of a mess for you to clean up afterwards and reduce wasted ingredients.
- A few different drums or discs included with the grater is also a good option. If making pizza or pasta, a finer grate is better, while tacos need a coarser grated cheese. Some graters also include a slicer as well, which is nice for those who are looking for a quick option for slicing veggies.
- You may be right handed, while your partner may be a leftie. That’s why some rotary graters come with reversible handles, so they can be used no matter who is doing the cooking.
- Though not necessary, having a cheese grater that can be taken apart to clean will make the job much easier. Dishwasher safe is even better, but read the instructions before sticking it in there, to be sure you don’t damage any of the parts.
Other Uses for Your Rotary Cheese Grater
Just because it is called a cheese grater doesn’t mean that’s all it can do. There are a variety of other items you can use it to grate, some of which may be a bit surprising.
- Chocolate – for use as a garnish on pies, cakes, or on ice cream
- Vegetables – most veggies that you use in cakes, sauces, soups, and pancakes can be grated in a rotary grater, including carrots, radishes, potatoes, onions, zucchini, cabbage, and cucumber
- Nuts – also for use in sweet treats, like brownies or ice cream
- Spices and garlic – fresh garlic, ginger, nutmeg, and even coconut can be finely ground for use in your meals and desserts
- Citrus zest – you can zest your lemons, limes, and oranges quickly, without having to spend extra money on a special zester
- Butter – if you’re like me, you never think to warm up the butter to room temperature before you start baking, which is why having this to grate it can speed up the process
- Bread crumbs – these are a necessity for meatloaf and hamburgers and using a rotary grater can make the process quick and much less messy
- Soap – for those who prefer to make their own laundry soaps, hand soaps, or body washes, using these graters can make this job quick and easy, and since it is soap, cleanup will be a breeze
Though all 5 of these graters are quality machines that will do the job they are intended for, the best rotary cheese grater of the group is the Lovkitchen Rotary Cheese Grater. Despite being the second cheapest of the group, it is still made from quality materials that will work well through hundreds of meal preparations. It comes with 3 drums, more than some of the other models reviewed, for a variety of cutting options.
The Lovkitchen model is also suitable for both left and right handed people, is easy to take apart, and is one of the only ones reviewed that is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Most importantly, it is the only one made almost entirely of stainless steel, with only a few plastic components, so it will last for years with little risk of breaking under pressure.
Last Updated on May 31, 2021