Best Faucet Water Filter Reviews Consumer Ratings & Reports
With an assortment of water filter systems available on the market; you can easily be spoilt for choices. However, if you have clarity in your mind as to which product is most suitable for you and your family, then it doesn’t matter what type of products you come across, you will definitely be able to find the right one. When it comes to the water filtration system, there are two most popular choices that most people prefer to buy, which are, ‘reverse osmosis systems’ or ‘whole house water filter systems’. Both options are highly effective and reliable, but at the same time expensive as well. But, don’t you get disappointed, as there is a cheaper and reliable alternative available in faucet water filter. A faucet water filter directly attaches onto the tap. Once attached, you can get clean and safe water to drink for several upcoming months. If you want to know about the best faucet water filter consumer reports, then go check out my list of six top faucet water filters below.
Reviews Of 6 Best Faucet Water Filters Consumer Ratings & Reports
1. Brita Faucet Water Filter System
One of the most affordable units available on the market, Brita Faucet Water Filter system is, in fact, the most efficient and durable unit that you can buy.
Features Of Brita Faucet Water Filter
- You can easily install and replace the filter, courtesy of a simplified instruction manual.
- Blends well with any kitchen or bathroom.
- The unit incorporates filters that are capable of removing 99.9 percent of water contaminants such as chlorine, lead, asbestos and many more. It won’t make the water soft, so you’ll have to buy a water softener separately for that.
- The filter effectively filters 100 gallons of water after which, you will have to replace it.
- A light indicator has been installed, which flashes green when the filter is good and flashes red when it is worn out.
2. PUR FM2500V Classic Faucet Mount Filter
If you are particularly looking for a faucet water filter that incorporates a dependable filtration system, then check out PUR FM2500V Classic.
Features of PUR FM2500V Classic Faucet Mount Filter:
- Capable of eliminating 70+ contaminants including lead and chlorine, courtesy of activated carbon and ion.
- The filter efficiently filters 100 gallons of water, which makes around 2-3 months.
- The inclusion of an LED indicator depicts as to when the filter needs to be replaced.
- Installation and replacement of the filter is a breeze, thanks to easy to understand instruction manual.
3. Culligan FM-15A Faucet Water Filter System
The highlighting feature of this unit is its ability to eliminate those contaminants, which others fail to remove or reduce, plus its long cartridge life. Let’s discuss some other features of the unit.
Features of Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter:
- Besides removing harmful contaminants like lead, chlorine, atrazine, lindane, giardia, and cryptosporidium, etc., this filter removes bad taste and odor from the water.
- The filter remains active for 3+ months or 200 gallons. Moreover, it comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The product is NSF and ANSI certified, which builds trust among users on the filter system.
- You can easily choose whether to drink filtered or unfiltered water with a pull of the diverter valve stem.
- The faucet water filter mounts directly on your current faucet. You just need to screw it and enjoy filtered water for the next few months.
- The absence of a filter change indicator will definitely hurt you, but you can still make out if the cartridge needs to be replaced by checking the water flow. If it is slow, then that means, the cartridge has worn out.
The faucet water filter will not be installed on the pull-down and pull-out faucet designs.
4. Engdenton Stainless Steel Faucet Water Filter
Strong body and reliable filtration system are two things that people find attractive, but there is a lot more to this faucet water filter.
Features of Engdenton Faucet Water Filter:
- The body of the filter is made of 304 stainless steel, which makes it immune to leakages and cracks.
- Installing this faucet water filter is as easy as it gets.
- The filter incorporates an Activated Carbon Fiber Filter that efficiently removes chlorine, sand, rust, bad taste and odor from the water.
- The filter has a high water flow rate, i.e., 0.5 GPM to 0.8 GPM.
- The unit effectively filters up to 320 gallons of water or in other terms, it works for 6 months.
- The filtration system is so incredible that it prohibits all harmful elements above 0.5 microns.
5. DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter
The most affordable yet feature-packed faucet water filter on the list. If you are not sure as to why you should consider this water filter, then look at below-mentioned features.
Features Of DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier:
- Easy installation and replacement of cartridge.
- The filter works flawlessly for 100 gallons of water or you can say it needs replacement after every 2 months.
- This is a certified filter, so you can trust the company when it says that the filter will remove chlorine, bacteria, cysts, sediment, and microorganisms from the water.
- Besides contaminants, the filter is also capable of eliminating foul odors and tastes from the water.
- The unit is leak-proof, but you will have to apply the Teflon tape in order to make it leak-proof.
6. Waterdrop Water Faucet Filtration System
This brand may not be as old as PUR or Culligan, but it certainly has all the ingredients to be one of the best brands in the market. Waterdrop knows how to make quality products, and this 320-gallon durable water faucet filter system confirms that claim.
Features Of Waterdrop Faucet Water Filter System:
- The sleek and elegant look of the filter system will definitely attract you. It is made up of plastic, yet it is very durable.
- The filter system attaches vertically along with the faucet, thus giving you an ample amount of space over the sink for washing utensils and other tasks.
- This is a smart unit, which allows you to adjust the filter cartridge with respect to the filter leverage. If the filter leverage is turned, then the pressure on the cartridge will automatically be reduced.
- With the inclusion of 5-stage filtration, you can expect 99.9 percent removal of contaminants from the water.
- Sediments will be removed by pre and post-filter stainless steel meshes whereas tiny particles present in the water will be taken care of by pre and post filter PP cotton layers. As far as eliminating organic compounds, chlorine, and a foul odor and smell from the water is concerned, then that will be eliminated by activated carbon block.
- With a water filtration capacity of 320 gallons, there aren’t many units that exceed this number.
How Do Tap Faucet Water Filters work?
A popular belief among people regarding faucet water filters is that they purify the water, which is not the case. Filter and purifiers may seem similar kind of terms, but in reality, they are completely different terms. The water purification process involves reverse osmosis systems whereas water filtration process produces filtered water. Where a water purifier can be used on any water, a water filter let it be faucet water filter or shower water filter increases the quality of water up to some extent. Therefore, the water that is passed through water filter is already good for you, but it undergoes the filtration process to ensure that the water is 100% safe for consumption and contains all the necessary minerals.
Working Of Faucet Water Filter
The working of a faucet water filter is premised upon a cartridge filter. Sporting a wide range of components that work together, the cartridge is the main tool for removing the contaminants in the water. The components used in a cartridge of faucet water filters are usually the same with slight differences. Here is the list of components that are used:
- Sediment Removal: The filtration process begins with the removal of sediments from the water, which is done by making use of a non-woven screen that is wrapped around the cartridge. The specially designed screen bars small and large particles like dirt, sand, rust, and debris from entering.
- Activated Carbon Block: Once passed through the sediment removal, the water enters activated carbon block, which has a porous surface that is filled with nooks and crannies. These crannies trap the contaminants flowing in the water through a process called ‘Adsorption’. With contaminants getting stuck into the porous surface of the filter, its efficiency reduces with time. To fix this problem, companies have come up with treated activated carbon that includes a special substance in the carbon to keep its efficiency high. Many companies add silver because it is effective in warding off bacterial or fungi that escape the carbon filter.
- Chemical Removal: Once the water passes activated carbon block, it has to go through special elements, which efficiently remove the chemical content from the water such as chlorine, lead, mercury, and nitrites. However, the filtration process will not be able to remove heavy metals such as calcium and magnesium.
How To Choose The Best Faucet Water Filter
While buying a faucet water filter, pay attention to the following parameters because that’s how you will be able to zero in on the best product.
Usually being of the same size, you may find some models slightly bigger than others. The size of a faucet water filter depends upon the size of its cartridge. Size of the filter has nothing to do with its working, but the size will determine as to how much space the filter will occupy. If your kitchen sink remains packed with utensils, then you need to opt for a smaller model because a bigger model will limit the space for keeping utensils in the sink.
Ease Of Installation
Look for a faucet water filter that is easy to install. You will find many faucet water filters, which can be easily installed with a wrench. It is recommended to go for such models, as it saves time as well as money that you would have spent on calling a plumber.
It will be better to choose a faucet water filter whose finish matches with other appliances and fixtures. The only thing that you can keep in mind is not to choose a filter with a plastic finish.
Faucet water filters come in two styles; in first, the filters rotate on their own axis and second, where filters swivel on the vertical axis. Both styles allow users to access their limited sink space, so you can decide as to which style of faucet water filter is more suitable for you.
Perhaps the most important components of a faucet water filter, you should get as much information about them before the purchase of a faucet water filter. Prefer heavy-duty cartridges with longevity and filter change sensors to notify you when to change the filters. Most filters operate efficiently for 200 gallons of water or two months, so anything higher than these figures would be better.
Filter Change Sensors
There are two types of filter change sensors available in faucet water filters, which are:
- Light Sensor: At the beginning, the filter light flashes green and as the filter cartridges reach maximum filtering capacity, the light starts to flash yellow, which means, it’s time to let go of the existing cartridge and buy a new one. If the light is red, then don’t drink the water from the faucet as it will contain contaminants.
- Day Counting Sensor: You will find these sensors mostly in water filter pitchers, but some faucet water filters also use them. In this counter, you get information about the days since you last changed the cartridge of the filter. Based on that information, you can continue to use the same cartridge or replace it with a new one.
Cost is an important factor, but it shouldn’t be the most important factor. When buying a faucet water filter, pay attention to the price of replacement cartridges, as to how expensive they are. Opt for the filter that has cheaper replacement cartridges.
That was all about the best faucet water filters. If you have understood as to what a faucet water filter is made up of, what the main components are and how to install and maintain it, then you can go ahead and make a purchase. You will not find a better option than the six best faucet water filter consumer reports that I’ve reviewed because these consist of the best features that one can expect in a faucet water filter.
Last Updated on October 11, 2021