Top 6 Best Air Compressor Reviews Consumer Report In 2020
For a DIY renovation or home improvement job, you must have an air compressor, as it will give you the air power that you need to operate a wide range of pneumatic tools such as staple gun or nail gun, brad nailers, paint sprayers and more.
Without having an air compressor, you won’t be able to carry out the renovation or improvement job as fast and efficiently as you can with it. If you are looking to buy an air compressor, then you will be surprised to see the copious amount of options available on the market.
To put your finger on the right air compressor, I would suggest you to go through air compressor reviews consumer report in which six of the best air compressors have been analyzed in a proper and unbiased way.
Reviews Of 6 Best Air Compressors Consumer Report
1. Makita MAC700 2.0 HP Air Compressor
- A durable unit that is constructed with cast iron to carry out medium to heavy-duty tasks.
- Inclusion of a 2 HP motor along with cast iron cylinder provides better bore and stroke for quicker compression and recovery along with less noise.
- The piston pump is completely lubricated with oil and comes with a large automotive style filter for better air intake and delivery of optimum air pressure.
- The air compressor comes with a 2.6-gallon tank, which easily sustains the operating pressure of 130 PSI.
- The inclusion of MAC700 motor may have a lower RPM, i.e., 1,720, but it doesn’t heat up, thus ensuring longevity.
- The low amp draw alleviates the chances of voltage drop or tripped breakers, thus saving the motor from premature failure.
- The oil sight glass, oil drain and tank drain valve are conveniently located on the unit, thus making maintenance a breeze.
- The compressor features a sturdy roll bar handle with rubber grip, which makes it somewhat easy for you to lift the unit and move from one place to another because the unit weighs 52 lbs.
- The noise produced by the unit is around 80 dB, which isn’t much unless it is kept at a very small space.
- Along with the compressor, you will get a ¼-inch universal quick coupler along with oil.
2. PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Pancake Compressor
- Smart design, quality construction, and efficient performance, these features define Porter-Cable C2002 Pancake air compressor.
- Sporting a 0.8 HP motor, 6-gallon tank having 150 PSI (max), high flow regulators, oil-free pump and a compressor that offers 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI, this air compressor has written ‘high performance’ all over it.
- You will get the maximum air pressure with this unit along with longer tool run times and faster recovery time.
- The motor comes with replaceable brushes, which extends its life.
- The solid tank comes with rubber feet that keep it stable in different types of work environments.
- The inclusion of a water drain valve keeps the tank from rusting.
- The compressor comes with two regulated air couplers, which support two users.
- You can easily operate the unit in winters, courtesy of its upgraded handle, shroud, and console cover that safeguards the unit from wear and tear.
- You can easily move the unit as it weighs just 30 lbs.
- When it comes to accessories, then you’ll see a 13-piece kit included with the product to meet your different requirements.
- The air compressor has a noise rating of 82 dB, which isn’t that noisy, to say the least.
3. Bostitch BTFP02012 Air Compressor
- A portable yet highly powerful air pressure by Bostitch that comprises a 6-Gallon 150 PSI compressor, which is easy to store and move.
- The pump incorporated into the unit is oil-free and delivers 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI. Moreover, it is super easy to maintain.
- The maximum pressure of the tank stands at 150 PSI, which is excellent for long tool run time and fast recovery.
- The noise level of the air compressor stands at 78.5 dB, which is lesser than units available at the same price range and with similar features.
- The inclusion of high flow regulator along with two couplers enhance the air tool performance because the unit comes with two universal couplers that allow support to two users at a time.
- Weighing in at just 29 lbs, the unit is easy to move and store.
4. Senco PC1010 1-HP Peak, 1/2 HP running 1-Gallon Compressor
- This air compressor comes with a direct drive pump that offers smooth and efficient operation for a wide range of jobs.
- The oil-free pump doesn’t create any mess or disposal issues.
- The tank has a capacity of one gallon, which makes it ideal for a wide range of home improvement and renovation jobs.
- The inclusion of aluminum cylinder adds to the durability of the unit.
- The air compressor makes lesser noise compared to other air compressors on the list.
- The feet of the air compressor is covered with durable rubber, thus saving the floors of your house from scratches.
- The unit is apt in delivering 20-44 drives per minute, but it all depends on the tool and application.
5. PORTER-CABLE CMB15 Fully Shrouded/Hand Carry Compressor
- This is another top-of-the-line air compressor by Porter-Cable, which sports a 1.5 gallon fully shrouded tank that runs 2.0 SCFM at 90 PSI, which provides faster recovery time.
- The compressor’s tank stands on rubber feet, which keeps the unit stable and the inclusion of a water drain valve keeps the tank rust-free.
- As the maximum tank pressure of the compressor is 150 PSI, so you’ll expect more air to be stored in the tank for longer tool runtimes. Moreover, the oil-free pump makes maintenance minimal.
- The motor produces less noise, i.e., 79 dB, thus giving you a quieter work environment.
- Sporting a fully enclosed design, the air compressor offers protection from moving parts and the parts that get sizzling hot during operation.
- The air compressor can be easily used in winters, thanks to the low amp 120 Volt motor.
- You will get a 25-ft coil hose and an 8 piece accessory kit with the unit to carry out multiple tasks with ease.
6. DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI Quiet Trim Compressor
- This is a powerful air compressor that consists of a 2.5-gallon gas tank having 200-PSI max. Moreover, it delivers 3.0 SCFM at 90 PSI.
- The motor incorporated into the unit draws only 12 amps, thus offering easy start-up along with alleviating the chances of voltage drop.
- Sporting a durable and oil-free pump allows maintenance-free operation.
- Talking about the noise produced by this unit, then that’s only 71.5 dB, lowest in all air compressors that I’ve reviewed.
- This air compressor is ‘portable’ in the true sense because it is just 14-inch wide and weighs only 36 lbs.
- The unit can be stored in vertical as well as horizontal position, thus giving you an option to keep the unit in confined spaces of the room.
Different Types Of Air Compressors
There are four main types of air compressors to choose from. Those are;
When you see these compressors, you’ll remember juicy hot-dogs grilled on a pellet grill because the shape of these compressors is identical to an hot-dog, but that shape helps the units move from one place to another easily. The handle on the side of the tank and wheels at the bottom make mobility a lot easier.
These compressors come with a couple of cylindrical tanks, which are placed one over the other. The inclusion of two tanks allows you to double the amount of air power along with making the entire unit more compact.
Hot Dog Compressors
These compressors have a single cylindrical tank that is placed horizontally on a stand. The design of this compressor allows users to place it against the wall, safe from everybody. These compressor sport a handle that allows users to easily maneuver them around the job site or workspace.
These compressors feature round, flat storage tanks, which are connected to four rubber-grip feet. The special design of these compressors give them better stability when placed on the floor, plus these are ideal for small workspaces due to their compact size.
Important Features To Consider When Buying An Air Compressor
Tank Size: An air compressor that has 2-3 gallon tank is sufficient if you want to use the unit for filling up a bicycle tire or drive a few nails once in a month or two months. If you want to do a lot more than just those aforementioned things, then you will have to get an air compressor with a larger tank, which has a capacity of 6 gallons. Tanks larger than 6 gallons are also available, but then, those will not be able to move that easily.
Noise: An air compressor makes noise and you will definitely going to hear it, but the noise isn’t as annoying as other electro-mechanical units. An average air compressor makes 80-90 dB of noise, which is lesser than an average lawn edger.
Pounds Per Square Inch (PSI): The ability of an air compressor to produce the maximum pressure is calculated in PSI. You should check if your air compressor is able to produce more than minimum PSI that is required for your most demanding tool. Along with that, you need to keep in mind that an air compressor with higher PSI can perform better than an equal-sized compressor with lesser PSI.
Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM): To check the mass of airflow at any given PSI, the value is calculated in CFM. The maximum the value of CFM, the better it is, but the compressor should provide at least the CFM that the most demanding tool in your house would require.
Weight/Portability: It is always better to invest in a portable air compressor that is light, well designed and easy to move. These aspects depend a lot on the ergonomics of the tank and motor housing. If you have kids at home who ride bicycles every day (most kids do), then you will have to keep dragging the unit, and so, portability becomes a vital factor.
Ease Of Care: With almost every air compressor manufacturer has switched to the oil-free compressor, especially for portable models. Oil-free models are much easier to use because you don’t have to get into the hassle of replacing oil after every once in a while. However, you will need to drain the air tank on a regular basis in order to prevent water vapor from accumulating and causing rust, which depends a lot on the design of the compressor.
In my reviews, you’d find all kinds of air compressors and they all are high-performance units in their own ways, so the ultimate decision is in your hands. You need to outline your requirements and then, choose a product that you think would meet those requirements in the best way. You need to get an air compressor, which has at least that much CFM to fill the air into the most demanding tool that you have. When it comes to material and noise levels, there isn’t much difference, so pay attention to the CFM and PSI levels while checking air compressor reviews consumer report because these two will make the difference.
Last Updated on August 29, 2020